This article is for those who want to get started with microcontrollers like Arduino and ESP, but don’t have access to a computer. Now you don’t need a desktop/laptop to program your Arduino. We can do that using any android smartphone. So without wasting any more time, let’s get started.
- Arduino board with USB cable
- USB OTG cable
- ArduinoDroid App
That’s all we need for this project. Let’s move on to see how this works.
Why Use ArduinoDroid?
This app really comes handy when you don’t access to a computer and you want to make some changes to your project maybe upload new code. This is a great tool to use on the go. Let’s see how to program an Arduino UNO using ArduinoDroid.
- Download and install the app on your smartphone.
- Next you need an OTG cable, there are two most common types namely: Micro USB and Type-c. It depends on the type of USB connector you have on your phone.
- Connect the OTG to your phone and plug in the Arduino’s USB cable in it.
- Now plug in the Uno board and you should be able to upload your codes straight away.
- If you want to access the example codes, tap on the three dots on top right corner and select examples. From here you can select any example codes and upload it on the board.
If your code was successfully uploaded to the Arduino, you don’t need this step. But if there was a problem and you couldn’t upload the code or connect to the board. Here are some steps to check out:
- First check the USB and OTG are connected properly.
- Make sure you have selected the correct board.
- If you are using a clone, you might have to select CH340 UNO. To change boards , goto settings, boards, tap on Arduino and select the second option.
- Retry uploading the sketch.
This isn’t the ideal method of programming Arduino but it gets the job done. If you are looking forward to getting into robotics or automation as a hobby or career, You have to invest in a good computer.
In a future article, I will share about which computers or laptop you should use for programming and robotics. Until then enjoy ArduinoDroid ?
Also read: Controlling Servo Pan-Tilt Using Joystick